In my humble opinion, the Canon MP150 is the best printer available. If I were to enumerate the reasons, I would list them as:
1) The Canon MP150 is easy to refill
2) Its cartridges are easily available (At least in Mauritius, 2008)
3) No hassles, it prints flawlessly (unlike HP,Epson)
4) The printer can be reset via a series of button presses. (unlike HP,Epson. Some Epson users were so frustrated that an Epson reset utility had to be created. However, it supports only some select models. I am deeply sorry they do not own a Canon MP150) See below for more details how to reset the MP150.
5) The Canon CL-41 cartridge for the MP150 is just an ink tank. Unlike most Epson and HP (and some Lexmark) cartridges which have and embedded chip, the Canon ink tank is easy to refill. A chip on a cartridge is normally used by the manufacturer to ensure that the customer uses only genuine ink. Also, when an attempt to refill the cartridge is detected, the printer posts a message on the screen informing the user that his/her warranty is void. These tactics are usually for commercial ends to ensure that the company continues to earn money from accessories and replacement cartridges.
6) Its just..a Canon.
Since now, I have noticed only one downside from the Canon MP150. It will refuse to print in grayscale when the colour cartridge has been removed, even though you choose Print Black only from the Canon Preferences/Maintenance Tab. I have searched for any possible hack to force the apparatus to print in black, but in vain.
How to reset the Canon MP150 after a refill (Step 10 concerns refill; instructions below the steps):
Method1 (Safe Factory Method):
1) Disconnect the printer’s power outlet
2) Press and hold the power button while connecting the power outlet back.
3) While still holding down the power button, press the reset button twice.(red circle with a triangle)
4) Release the power button
The printer takes about 10 seconds to show the number 0.
5) Press + to change the value from 0 to 1.
6) When this value is 1, press colour button; this will light up two leds.
One is for plain paper and the other for photo paper. At this point is feed the printer with paper.
7) Press the power button, the color button then the Reset button in order. The Canon will print some stripped lines and some numbers and letters ( all black if colored ink is empty).
When you print this sheet the value in the display returns to zero.
8 ) Open the printer cover cover (not the scanner cover) and remove the cartridges. With the printer still open, disconnect the power outlet.
9) Close the lid, re-connect the printer to the power outlet and turn on the printer.
10) Refill cartridges and place them back in their nice little abode in the printer.
Method2 (Use at you own risk – Hardware Manipulation):
This method works in Factory Mode. I have not personally tested it because I do not wish to void my warranty by reverse engineering my printer hardware. Nevertheless, if you have a stock of printers in the back of your garage and wish to experiment, give it a try. See below for instructions how to set the MP150 to Factory Mode.
Upgrade to the latest MP150 Driver (version1.10) and download MPTool here (Driver+Tool). This little software supports Pixma models MP150, MP160, MP170, MP180, MP450, MP460. MP150, MP160, MP170, MP180, MP450, MP460.
* Expanded information on the level of ink in the cartridge and containers for the waste of ink.
* Reading, recording and reset the printer EEPROM.
* Reset counters level for black and coloured ink cartridges.
* Clear the counters occupancy “core” and “supplementary” containers for the waste of ink.
Ink Level – shows the level of occupancy ink:
BK – black cartridge.
CY – colored ink cartridge Cyan.
MG – colored Magenta ink cartridge.
YL – Yellow colored ink cartridge.
WM – “core” container for the waste of ink.
WP – “additional” container for the waste of ink.
Port Name – displays the name of the printer port on the system.More info: here
Setting the MP150 to Factory Mode:
1) Turn off the printer on the network.
2) Click and hold power button.
3) Add a printer to the network.
4) Press cancel / resume printing.
5) Drop button. (If the system reports the discovery of “new device”, install the printer driver; after the installation is complete name the new printer as “Canon MPXXX Factory Mode”).
How to refill? Check this picture:
For best results, wait 8 hours so that the ink settles to the ink head.
I hope this helps to make this world printer friendly. If this articles has made you less frustrated today, post a comment.
Corrected Method 1, Step 7. Thanks to Jun dela Cruz (Philippines) for the update.